Gladstone Gaol is a heritage listed building, accessed from Ward Street at the northern end of town.

It was built between 1879-81, at a cost of £21,640. The slate was quarried at Mintaro and transported by bullock drays.

The gaol was originally used for ‘inebriates and debtors’. From the time of its opening until the 1920’s it never housed more than 86 prisoners.

It was a gaol for both men and women. During World War II it was used as an internment camp for Italians and Germans. It remained unused between 1943 and 1953, when it became a corrective training complex for 18-25-year-old offenders. There were only 26 escapes in the gaol’s 100 year history.

Following extensions in 1955, the complex increased to 125 cells.  In 1969 130 prisoners were housed with up to 20 transfers each day.

The gaol was eventually closed in 1975 and opened to visitors in 1978.  Now you can wander through ‘B & C’ wings to see where scenes were shot for the film ‘Stir’. The gaol is a ‘must see’ for travellers and visitors to the Southern Flinders Ranges.

Tours

can be a leisurely D.I.Y. tour,  guided tour, or make an appointment for night ghost tour by the resident Psychics.

Accommodation

is available in the cells.  Bring your own bedding for budget style, or stay in our affordable style with made up beds in the cells (Linen provided at extra cost).

Devonshire Tea

is available at the Gaol Café.

Gladstone Gaol &
Tourist Complex

Open: 7 days from 10.00am – 4:00 pm.

Address: Ward Street,
Gladstone SA 5473
Phone: (08) 8662 2200
Mobile: 0429 799 926

Looking towards the observation tower from exercise area
Observation Tower
In the central dome looking towards B wing
Gladstone Gaol Central Dome
Chapel with organ and central table. there is a skull on the organ
Chapel
a table with dead looking dummy and some ghosts.
Morgue
Large open area in Gladstone Gaol
Gaol exercise area
A wing with a table and chairs
A Wing
Birthing room with cradle, bed and sofa
Birthing room
Cell with a dummy dressed in white on a rocking chair
Cell
Manacles hanging on the wall outside the laundry door
Laudry door
B wing with slow combustion stove
B Wing
room with table and 2 chairs and bookshelf
Library
Open shower area with 3 shower heads
Showers - not in use